On Saturday, Gov. Rick Perry (R-TX) announced his presidential bid at the RedState Gathering in South Carolina. He was introduced by one of the event's lead organizers, Erick Erickson. Since 2010 Erickson has been a paid "political contributor" at CNN. When Erickson joined the network, CNN described him as a "perfect fit" and an "agenda-setter whose words are closely watched in Washington."
As we have detailed, many of those words are incendiary, sexist and racially charged. Here are just a few of them:
- Erickson Called Michelle Obama A "Marxist Harpy Wife." In a blog post headlined, "Is Obama Shagging Hookers Behind the Media's Back?" Erickson stated, "I assume not. I assume that Obama's marxist harpy wife would go Lorena Bobbit on him should he even think about it, but I ask the question to make one simple point: Barack Obama, like Elliott Spitzer, is a creation of the liberal media and, as a result, could be a serial killing transvestite and the media would turn a blind eye."
- Erickson Called Souter A "Goat Fucking Child Molester." On his Twitter account, Erickson responded to Souter's retirement from the Supreme Court by stating, "The nation loses the only goat fucking child molester ever to serve on the Supreme Court."
- Erickson On Obama's Nobel Peace Prize: "I Did Not Realize The Nobel Peace Prize Had An Affirmative Action Quota." In a RedState post discussing Obama's Nobel Peace Prize, Erickson wrote, "I did not realize the Nobel Peace Prize had an affirmative action quota for it, but that is the only thing I can think of for this news. There is no way Barack Obama earned it in the nominations period."
- Erickson: "Dorgan And Dodd Are Healthcare Suicide Bombers." In a Twitter post, Erickson stated: "[Sens. Byron] Dorgan and [Chris] Dodd are healthcare suicide bombers. Instead of 72 virgins, they'll get ambassadorships."
- Erickson: "Ugly Feminists Return To Their Kitchens." Discussing a Super Bowl ad featuring abortion opponent Tim Tebow, Erickson tweeted: "Thus ends the credibility of all pro-abortion groups. Thanks Mrs. Tebow for that. Ugly feminists return to their kitchens."
- Erickson: "At What Point Do The People ... March Down To Their State Legislator's House, Pull Him Outside, And Beat Him To A Bloody Pulp?" In a March 31, 2009, post on RedState.com discussing a Washington county's ban on certain kinds of dishwasher detergent, Erickson wrote: "At what point do the people tell the politicians to go to hell? At what point do they get off the couch, march down to their state legislator's house, pull him outside, and beat him to a bloody pulp for being an idiot?" Later in the post, Erickson added: "Were I in Washington State, I'd be cleaning my gun right about now waiting to protect my property from the coming riots or the government apparatchiks coming to enforce nonsensical legislation."