Blog ››› ››› MEDIA MATTERS STAFF
Donald Trump backed out of an interview with a Jacksonville, Florida reporter after she refused to provide the campaign with the interview questions in advance.
Action News Jax reporter Jenna Bourne claimed that the Trump campaign reached out to her on October 24 and requested “a list of questions”ahead of a scheduled interview with the candidate. Bourne refused to provide the campaign with the specific questions in advance, instead sending a list of general topics, including Marco Rubio, Hispanic Florida voters, and Refugees. She provided her half of the email exchange on Twitter, and recounted her communications to FloridaPolitics.com who described her as a “tenacious reporter” with a “no holds barred style” to questioning:
Jenna Bourne of Action News Jax claims to have found herself spiked, for not giving the questions to Trump’s media relations person upon demand.
Bourne was told that Trump’s campaign contacted her station, wanting to know who was conducting the interview.
Action News Jax said it was to be Bourne.
From there, the Trump campaign reached out over the weekend, and asked for a “list of questions” on Monday.
Bourne, after consulting with station management, sent a few “general topics.”
“We agreed that was the right course of action,” Bourne said.
The topics included Marco Rubio, “diplomacy in the White House,” “Hispanic Florida voters,” and “Refugees.”
From there, Bourne relates, the campaign “kind of just ghosted me.”
At the rally later on Monday, Bourne received conflicting narratives, ranging from a denial that the interview had been scheduled, to hearing that a “decision hadn’t been made.”
Bourne waited … and waited … but it “just never happened,” even as another local Jacksonville TV outlet was approached for its interview.