The Research Department at Media Matters monitors print, online, and broadcast media for conservative misinformation and is primarily responsible for generating rebuttals to critical strings of misinformation that are being pushed through the media.
- Monitoring: Researchers are responsible for identifying, researching, and rebutting false narratives that advance a conservative agenda. Monitoring duties include watching news outlets and listening to prominent right-wing radio shows, reading blogs and traditional print publications, and identifying emerging or trending falsehoods.
- Documenting: Researchers are responsible for summarizing the media they monitor to Media Matters' internal archive, and for flagging emerging and persistent strands of misinformation - including but not limited to problematic rhetoric and imagery.
- Narrative Building: Researchers are also responsible for tracking larger media narratives and the key strands of misinformation Media Matters is engaged in and to help come up with ways to advance those narratives.
- Rapid Response: Researchers are responsible for researching and responding to misinformation found during monitoring by conceptualizing and writing comprehensive fact checks, narrative blog post or high-impact multimedia products.
- Editing: Researchers are often responsible for editing content posted to the Media Matters website for content and clarity using appropriate AP and MMFA style guides.
- Minimum Bachelor's degree, preferably in journalism, politics, public policy, or related field
- One year of political or media experience preferred
- Interest in media and understanding of the effects conservative misinformation has on our public debate
- Breadth of knowledge about and awareness of current political and policy issues
- Strong research and writing skills
- Ability to work both as a team and independently
- Self-starter, can recognize emerging trends and generate creative content ideas
How to Apply:
Please email a resume and cover letter in plain text or PDF format to email@example.com. No phone calls, please. We can respond only to candidates whom we are contacting for an interview.
Media Matters for America is an Equal Opportunity Employer.