April 21, 2010 10:57 AM EDT MEDIA MATTERS STAFF
Media Matters report shows network rallying for GOP in at least 300 instances
Washington, D.C. - Last week, Sean Hannity was pulled from hosting his show from a tea party fundraiser, and today, Media Matters for America released a report detailing how Fox News personalities in recent years have endorsed, raised money, or campaigned for Republican candidates or causes, or against Democratic candidates or causes, in more than 300 instances in at least 49 states.
"Fox's ethics crisis has gone nuclear," said Eric Burns, President of Media Matters. "In spite of their claim to be 'fair and balanced,' Fox has shown a startling pattern of complicity in letting its hosts and contributors use its network affiliation to promote and fundraise for Republican causes and candidates."
Burns continued: "Rupert Murdoch said he didn't believe it would be appropriate for Fox to support a political party. Try saying that 300 times fast."
Though Rupert Murdoch recently said he didn't think Fox should be supporting the tea party or any other party, Media Matters has documented at least 300 examples of Fox News hosts and contributors endorsing, raising money, and campaigning for Republican candidates or causes. Republican parties and officials have routinely touted these personalities' affiliations with Fox News to sell and promote their events.
- Fox News contributor Karl Rove has participated in or is scheduled to participate in 23 fundraisers for Republican candidates and causes and has given $14,000 to Republican candidates since signing on with the network.
- Fox News contributor Newt Gingrich has participated in or is scheduled to participate in at least 16 Republican fundraisers and gatherings and has endorsed Republican candidates. Additionally, he serves as a campaign adviser to a Republican campaign and is chairman of American Solutions for Winning the Future, a 527 that has raised more than $14 million in the 2010 election cycle.
- Fox News host Mike Huckabee's political action committee, HuckPAC, has endorsed and given money to numerous Republican candidates. Huckabee has recently participated in or is scheduled to participate in at least seven Republican fundraisers and events.
- Fox News contributor Dick Morris regularly endorses and fundraises for Republican candidates; he has also used his Fox News employment to urge viewers to contribute to or help campaigns that advocate on behalf of Republican causes or against Democratic officials and candidates.
- Fox News contributor and host Sarah Palin has, since joining the network, endorsed numerous Republican candidates and has appeared at six Republican events. Her PAC has raised at least $2.5 million through the first quarter of 2010 and has given $8,500 to Republican candidates and causes.
- Fox News contributor Rick Santorum's PAC raised at least $1.5 million and has donated to at least 35 Republican candidates and causes during the current 2009-2010 election cycle. He has participated in at least eight Republican fundraisers and events and reportedly has planned trips to at least nine states to speak to Republican groups or campaign for Republican candidates.
- Fox News host Glenn Beck offered to host a fundraiser for Rep. Michele Bachmann.
- Fox News host Sean Hannity has participated in three fundraisers for Republicans and has donated money to a Republican candidate.
- Fox Business Vice President and Your World host Neil Cavuto has given money to former President George W. Bush.
- Fox News host Oliver North has participated in at least three Republican fundraising events and has contributed $2,000 to Republican candidates and causes.
- Fox Business host Eric Bolling has endorsed Republicans on at least three occasions.
- Fox News contributor John Bolton has fundraised and appeared at four recent Republican events.
- Fox News contributor Fred Barnes has spoken at Republican fundraisers on at least two occasions.
- Fox News contributor Dana Perino has participated in at least three Republican events.
- Fox News judicial analyst and Fox News Radio co-host Andrew Napolitano endorsed Pennsylvania Senate candidate Pat Toomey and has appeared at fundraisers for Acadiana Republican Women and Rep. Ron Paul.
- Fox News contributor Tammy Bruce has donated $10,000 to Republican candidates or causes.
- Fox News contributor Michelle Malkin has appeared at Republican fundraisers on at least two occasions.
- Fox News contributor Monica Crowley is scheduled to be the master of ceremonies for a fundraising dinner "to support" "conservative Republican veterans running for Congress."
- Fox News contributor David Hunt appeared at several fundraisers for Republican congressional candidate Jim Lee (SC).
- Fox News national security expert and FoxNews.com host KT McFarland participated in a Santa Fe County Republican Party fundraiser.
For more information, please see:
REPORT: Fox Newsers rally for GOP in more than 300 instances and in nearly every state