O'Reilly: "No lies have been told about anyone ... and you can't produce one, madam"
On the February 15 edition of FOX News' The O'Reilly Factor, in response to a viewer e-mail complaining about his "lying to the public about anything" and saying that his "show is full of lies about Hillary Clinton," host Bill O'Reilly called the viewer "delirious" and claimed: "No lies have been told about anyone, including Senator Clinton, and you can't produce one, madam."
Following are examples of O'Reilly lying about Clinton and other prominent Democrats and progressives:
Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-NY):
- O'Reilly claimed that former President Bill Clinton's presidential library gives her "access to money because Bill Clinton's got a checkbook that he can write anything off against that library he wants." In fact, the National Archives and Records Administration took over the management and funding of the library after its November 18, 2004, grand opening. [The O'Reilly Factor, 11/18/04 ]
- O'Reilly has often claimed that "Hillary Clinton didn't go to one funeral or one memorial service of any of the regular folks killed at the World Trade Center, even though she's a senator of New York," despite the fact that Clinton attended several memorial services, including one for 79 restaurant employees. (O'Reilly has not explained who the "regular folks" are.) [The O'Reilly Factor, 5/13/02; The Radio Factor with Bill O'Reilly, 2/10/05 ]
Senator Barbara Boxer (D-CA):
- O'Reilly egregiously misquoted Boxer during her questioning of Secretary of State nominee Condoleezza Rice and lied repeatedly to attack Boxer's record on fighting terrorism. O'Reilly claims that Boxer questioned Rice's "respect for the troops;" in fact, Boxer questioned Rice's "respect for the truth" after citing specific statements by Rice that Boxer claimed were untrue or inconsistent. [The O'Reilly Factor, 1/19/05 ; The Radio Factor with Bill O'Reilly, 1/20/05 ]
Billionaire philanthropist George Soros:
- O'Reilly doctored a quotation by Soros from a 1995 New Yorker article to make it seem as though Soros had wished his own father dead. [The Radio Factor with Bill O'Reilly, 6/1/04 ]
Democratic National Committee chairman and former presidential candidate Howard Dean:
- O'Reilly claimed that Dean wanted to "pull out of Iraq immediately," when Dean actually advocated keeping American military forces in Iraq to establish stability. [The O'Reilly Factor, 7/26/04 ]
- In a discussion about what went wrong for Democrats in the November 2, 2004, election, O'Reilly claimed that Democrats "lost votes from four years ago;" that "18- to 24[-year-old]s didn't go" to the polls; and that "[c]ommitted Republicans didn't carry the day for the president; independents did." All three claims are false. [The O'Reilly Factor, 11/4/04 ]