On Saturday night, Pat Buchanan appeared on the white nationalist radio program The Political Cesspool to promote his new book. During the nearly twenty-five minute interview, Buchanan attacked the country's increasing diversity and warned that America would face numerous problems when whites become a minority.
Buchanan has a long history marred by bigotry and hostility toward minorities. He recently released a new book, Suicide of a Superpower, which claims that America is disintegrating as whites lose their majority status. Buchanan also serves as a political analyst for MSNBC -- an affiliation that was mentioned by host James Edwards after the interview and on the program's website.
The Political Cesspool describes itself as representing "a philosophy that is pro-White ... We wish to revive the White birthrate above replacement level fertility and beyond to grow the percentage of Whites in the world relative to other races."
The Anti-Defamation League has criticized Edwards for having "white supremacist views" and interviewing "a variety of anti-Semites, white supremacists, Holocaust deniers, conspiracy theorists and anti-immigrant leaders." The Southern Poverty Law Center wrote in 2007 that The Political Cesspool host "has probably done more than any of his contemporaries on the American radical right to publicly promote neo-Nazis, Holocaust deniers, raging anti-Semites and other extremists" and that his program "has become the primary radio nexus of hate in America."
The SPLC notes that The Political Cesspool's guest roster reads like a "Who's Who" of radical racists, with guests like "white supremacist" Sam Dickson; "white supremacist" Paul Fromm; anti-Semitic professor Kevin MacDonald; and "neo-Nazi activist April Gaede." Edwards has also hosted former KKK leader David Duke, of whom Edwards writes: "Contrary to the false image of a drooling 'racist' that the MSM would like to paint, David is a very thoughtful, intelligent, and gracious individual." Edwards adds that he counts the anti-Semitic Duke "as a friend" and "I can honestly tell you that there is not a single negative thing that I can say about the man."
Edwards posts his thoughts on The Political Cesspool's website about topics like:
- Slavery. "For blacks in the Americas, slavery is the greatest thing that ever happened to them. Unfortunately, it's the worst thing that ever happened to white Americans." August 11, 2008.
- LGBTs. "Fags"; "perverts"; "sodomites"; "Until 1973, the American Psychiatric Association rightly listed homosexuality as a mental illness. It still is, of course, just no longer an officially listed one. Political correctness took care of that." May 26, 2009; September 22, 2011; July 11, 2011; July 6, 2011.
- Jews. "I have no idea why so many people dislike Jews ... This appeared on Daily Kos yesterday. The author is Tim Wise, a well known Jewish anti-white activist. I'm reprinting it here, bad language and all, so people can get a glimpse into how the people who really run this country think. To put it bluntly, people like Tim Wise are filled with a venomous hatred of white people like you and me. And they run Washington, Wall Street, and the news and entertainment media." November 4, 2010.
- Martin Luther King Jr.: "MLK's dream is our nightmare." February 9, 2011.
- Whether "interracial marriage should be illegal": "Despite constant brainwashing and relentless media propaganda, there still remains a great number of people in Mississippi who adhere to the values of their parents. ... The media will predictably dismiss the voters of Mississippi as 'hicks' and 'rednecks,' but their opinion on this matter is perfectly legitimate." April 8, 2011.
- "Interracial sex." "One of the most popular movies right now is Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants: 2, which is being marketed directly to teenage girls. It's been out about a week and has already grossed almost $25 million dollars. What's it about? White girls having sex with non-whites. Which is white genocide. ... Interracial sex is white genocide. Period." August 14, 2008.
- Women in the military. "Women have many natural gifts that men don't have. A man, for instance, could never properly fill the vitally important maternal role that women (used to) play, but dressing up and pretending to be a soldier isn't what God had in mind for the fairer sex. How intimidating do you think it would be to see a platoon of homosexuals and women (and homosexual women) charging a bunker? Do you think we could have taken the beach at Normandy with an army like that? That's a serious question. The answer, of course, is no." September 21, 2011.
During the interview, Buchanan warned about the consequences of whites becoming a minority in America:
EDWARDS: Moving on to another aspect of your excellent new book, which I have a review copy right here on my desk in the studio, you write that white America is an endangered species. Pat, what's America going to look like if indeed whites do become extinct?
BUCHANAN: Well, I don't think whites are going to become extinct. But certainly not in the near future. But what is happening, as you see in California, where Americans of European descent are already a minority and that is true in Texas and it is true, I believe, there is one other, New Mexico and Hawaii. And in this decade, I think, six more states will pass the tipping point where whites become a minority.
I think the best way to understand what America will look like is to look at California today. I think that is pretty much what America will look like. The Hispanic population will be immense. A 150 -- excuse me, 135 million, according to the Census Bureau statistics, and if you look at California, the golden land, which used to have -- I mean everybody went there, it was paradise. The soldiers who went out to the Pacific came home, went through there, and then went out and made their homes. And what is happening out there, James, is that -- I mean, look at the bond ratings, it's at the lowest in the country. The taxes are enormously heavy, they're on the well-to-do and the successful. It is what they're doing in the country now and these folks are leaving the state and many of the poor, illegal immigrants, one-third of them head for California, you've got a black-brown war of the underclass going on in Los Angeles, according to Sheriff Lee Baca, in the gangs and in the prison, and of course the welfare state is bankrupting California. And they've got some of the highest taxes in the nation. So I think--this is what the country is going to look like.
Buchanan was asked later in the program by Edwards about his chapter on the "cult" of diversity:
EDWARDS: You know, when you talk about the cult of diversity in the book, and this is a follow-up to the topic that we're on, it seems as though the white politicos who are explicitly involved, they seem to work against their own group interests, rather than for them, as the minorities do. Again, this chapter that you write on the cult of diversity, I have to ask this question, why do white liberals remain entranced by diversity when the social and cultural effects of diversity are almost entirely negative for themselves and their children and grandchildren.
Buchanan replied: "Well, I think there's many people candidly who -- I've been asked on radio, that 'what is wrong if a -- I mean, why isn't it a really good thing when whites become a minority nationwide and we're all part of minorities?' And I say, you know, this thing, I mean, real problems are attendant to this" and cited "racial preferences and affirmative action." Buchanan added that white males are "really the ones who are the victims of affirmative action, not the beneficiaries, and yet they're thirty percent of the country but they're seventy-five percent of the dead and wounded coming back from Afghanistan. That's not a formula for social peace."
Buchanan also told Edwards that he thinks America will "be a Balkanized country, sort of a Tower of Babel" when whites are no longer in the racial majority.
Edwards complimented Buchanan throughout the interview, telling him that his book "is an epic. It's thicker than the Bible, and like the Good Book, there's not a wasted word in it." Edwards called Buchanan a "true hero" who inspired him to become politically active -- Edwards served as a delegate for Buchanan in 2000 -- and told his listeners that he wanted to see the book at number one on Amazon by the time the interview was over.
Buchanan's interview gained notice over the weekend among a certain segment of Buchanan's fan base. The white supremacist group Council of Conservative Citizens promoted the interview on its website. And the National Policy Institute, which the SPLC describes as a "white supremacist think tank," posted the interview on its NPI TV page.
It's extremely unlikely that Buchanan was unaware of the program's views when he appeared on the program. Media Matters, The Southern Poverty Law Center and The Anti-Defamation League criticized Buchanan for previously appearing on the program. Buchanan guested in 2006 and 2008. In a 2008 press release, ADL National Director Abraham Foxman said of Buchanan, "It's not as if he did this by accident." Foxman added, "Anyone who would have made inquiries into the nature of this program would have realized that it is an outlet for racism, anti-Semitism and hate."
At the conclusion of the interview, Edwards reminisced with Buchanan about "mutual friend[s]" Linda Muller (who runs Buchanan.org) and Marcus Epstein, who helped Buchanan with research on the book. Epstein, a writer and activist with a history of inflammatory statements about race and immigration, was previously arrested for attacking a woman with a "karate chop" and calling her the n-word.
Buchanan's first segment with The Political Cesspool:
Buchanan's second segment with The Political Cesspool:
Buchanan's third segment with The Political Cesspool:
Previously (about Buchanan and his book tour):