Glenn Beck's Top 5 Moments Invoking Violence As A Response To "Progressives"
Research ››› ››› ZACHARY PLEAT
Glenn Beck's tenure at Fox News was marked by exceedingly violent rhetoric as he obsessively invoked violence as a possible response to "progressives." Here are five of the worst examples.
5. Beck Portrays Obama And Democrats As Vampires: "You Drive A Stake Through The Heart Of The Bloodsuckers." After portraying President Obama and other Democrats as vampires who were "going after the blood of our business," Beck said, "Either the economy becomes like the walking dead, or you drive a stake through the heart of the bloodsuckers":
[Fox News, Glenn Beck, 3/30/09]
4. Beck: "You'd Pick Up A Gun? Have You Ever Thought Of That?" After saying that "violence is just the wrong way to go," Beck said to his viewers: "You'd pick up a gun? Have you ever thought of that?" He then pointed to several pictures, including images of President Obama and then-Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, and said: "These people have. Because possibly, maybe the question should be asked, maybe they're tired of evolution, and maybe they are waiting for revolution." [Fox News, Glenn Beck, 3/23/10]
3. Beck: "You're Going To Have To Shoot Them In The Head." Discussing what he called a "civil war in the Democratic party" Beck claimed that "radicals have infected the party" and "have been brought in by politicians who don't really care about anything." Beck purported to illustrate his argument by airing comments made by former White House advisor Van Jones. After then discussing Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and Ayatollah Khomeini of Iran, Beck said:
Just because you in Washington and you who are so out of touch with life in the media, just because you don't believe in anything doesn't mean nobody else does. We do. You know why you're confused by this show? It's because I believe in something. You don't.
Tea parties believe in small government. We believe in returning to the principles of our Founding Fathers. We respect them. We revere them. Shoot me in the head before I stop talking about the Founders. Shoot me in the head if you try to change our government.
I will stand against you and so will millions of others. We believe in something. You in the media and most in Washington don't. The radicals that you and Washington have co-opted and brought in wearing sheep's clothing -- change the pose. You will get the ends.
You've been using them? They believe in communism. They believe and have called for a revolution. You're going to have to shoot them in the head. But warning, they may shoot you.
They are dangerous because they believe. Karl Marx is their George Washington. You will never change their mind. And if they feel you have lied to them -- they're revolutionaries. Nancy Pelosi, those are the people you should be worried about. [Fox News, Glenn Beck, 6/9/10]
2. Beck To Fake Nancy Pelosi: "By The Way, I Put Poison In Your" Wine Glass. While staging a meeting between Beck and Nancy Pelosi - portrayed by a member of Beck's staff wearing a Pelosi mask -- Beck joked about putting "poison" in Pelosi's wine :
[Fox News, Glenn Beck, 8/6/09]
1. Beck Appeared To Point To A Picture Of Obama After Asking "Why Would You Get A Gun?" After Beck asked "why would you get a gun," he appeared to point to a monitor where a picture of President Obama and Cass Sunstein appeared:
[Fox News, Glenn Beck, 6/13/11]