Fox-Promoted Claim That Benghazi Witness Was Threatened Falls Apart

Blog ››› ››› BEN DIMIERO

After Fox News pushed a claim that a Benghazi witness had been "subjected to threats and intimidation" by State Department employees, the witness' lawyer admitted on the network that his client never said he had been threatened by anyone.

In a May 6 article for FoxNews.com previewing the then-upcoming House hearings on the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya, Fox News reporters James Rosen and Chad Pergram wrote that Mark Thompson, one of the scheduled witnesses, "has been subjected to threats and intimidation by as-yet-unnamed superiors at State, in advance of his cooperation with Congress." The claim was sourced to Joseph diGenova, the Republican attorney representing Thompson.

But in a May 9 appearance on Fox News' Your World with Neil Cavuto, when diGenova was asked by guest host Stuart Varney about Thompson's claims that "he was the target of threats and intimidation," diGenova responded that Thompson "actually hasn't said that."

Asked later in the interview to clarify whether Thompson was threatened, diGenova said that his client is an "ex-Marine" and "even though they made his life miserable after that night, he didn't feel intimidated, because as a Marine he never does."

This is merely the latest in a series of myths about Benghazi that Fox News has pushed in its desperate attempt to turn the scandal into Obama's Watergate.

Person
Joseph diGenova
Stories/Interests
Benghazi
We've changed our commenting system to Disqus.
Instructions for signing up and claiming your comment history are located here.
Updated rules for commenting are here.