Skip to main content
  • Online media
  • Tariffs
  • Epstein
  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • RSS
  • Take Action
  • Search
  • Donate

Media Matters for America

  • News & Analysis
  • Research & Studies
  • Audio & Video
  • Archives

Media Matters for America

  • Nav
  • Search
  • News & Analysis
  • Research & Studies
  • Audio & Video
  • Archives
  • Online media
  • Tariffs
  • Epstein
  • Take Action
  • Search
  • Donate
  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • RSS
puerto-rico

Sarah Wasko / Media Matters

Andrea Mitchell repeats Trump's lie about Puerto Rico without debunking it

Written by John Whitehouse

Published 08/27/19 1:07 PM EDT

Updated 08/27/19 2:16 PM EDT

Tropical Storm Dorian is bearing down on Puerto Rico, with landfall expected on parts of the island on Wednesday night.

President Donald Trump is already using the potential disaster to push lies about Puerto Rico’s recovery from Hurricanes Irma and Maria in 2017.

The $92 billion number is simply incorrect, and this isn’t the first time the president has tweeted about it.

In July, Trump tweeted that “Congress foolishly gave 92 Billion Dollars” to Puerto Rico. NBC News’ Jane Timm fact-checked the president's statement, explaining that Congress had allocated only $42.5 billion and the island has so far received only a fraction of that:

Congress has allocated $42.5 billion to disaster relief for Puerto Rico, according to federal data, but the island had received less than $14 billion through May. Trump signed another aid bill in June that will send an additional $1 billion to the island. The bulk of aid dollars is still in Washington, much of it waiting on processes that require officials to submit a series of plans outlining how they expect to use the money and await federal approval.

What's more, the aid Puerto Rico received is a fraction of what it needs — Hurricane Maria inflicted an estimated $90 billion in damage on the island.

The island will receive additional funds from the Federal Emergency Management Agency; The Washington Post reported that an Office of Management and Budget estimate of the possible liabilities over the life of the disaster could reach as high as $50 billion under the Stafford Act, though the estimate is expected to change and that number would take many years to reach.

And yet, when Trump tweeted the $92 billion number today, MSNBC anchor Andrea Mitchell repeated it without noting that it was false.

Video file

Citation

From the August 27 edition of MSNBC's Andrea Mitchell Reports

Mitchell did not return to the topic of Puerto Rico for the rest of her show.

Update (8/27/19): An hour later, NBC News reporter Morgan Chesky debunked Trump’s claim while reporting from San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Video file

Citation

From the August 27 edition of MSNBC's MSNBC Live with Velshi and Ruhle

The Latest

  1. Fox contributor Raymond Arroyo says US skier has committed “borderline treason” by criticizing ICE

    Video & Audio 02/10/26 9:04 AM EST

  2. Laura Ingraham says Puerto Rican artist Bad Bunny's halftime show “didn't represent America at all”

    Video & Audio 02/09/26 7:51 PM EST

  3. Sean Hannity: “There's going to be an explosion in the economy, and I'm making that firm prediction”

    Video & Audio 02/09/26 7:33 PM EST

  4. Jesse Watters says Super Bowl halftime show made him scared the left, corporations, and foreign people will “take our culture away from us”

    Video & Audio 02/09/26 6:27 PM EST

  5. Greg Gutfeld launches incoherent rant about a Jewish halftime show with “dancing accountants” and “men slinging pastrami”

    Video & Audio 02/09/26 6:24 PM EST

Pagination

  • Previous page ‹‹
  • …
  • Current page 20
  • …
  • Next page ››

In This Article

  • MS NOW / MSNBC

    MSNBC-MMFA-Tag.png
  • Donald Trump

    Donald-Trump-MMFA-Tag.png
  • Hurricanes

    Hurricanes_MMFA_Tag

Related

  1. Podcaster Shawn Ryan agrees with guest that Trump and other presidents have ruled “by executive order,” adding, “It's a dictatorship”

    Video & Audio 02/19/26 4:42 PM EST

  2. Media Matters weekly newsletter, February 20

    Narrative/Timeline 02/20/26 11:19 AM EST

  3. On Deadline: White House, Angelo Carusone discusses what Stephen Colbert and CBS reveal about the Trump administration’s role in media decisions

    Video & Audio 02/18/26 7:34 PM EST

Media Matters for America

Sign Up for Email Updates
  • About
  • Contact
  • Corrections
  • Submissions
  • Jobs
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • RSS

© 2026 Media Matters for America

RSS